There are a lot of bug out bag checklist out there, but you will have to choose things that best suitable for the place you are going. Contents in the bug out bag are essential for us to survive and we may carry it and sometimes forced to walk long distance. It is important to bring only important and useful things in the bug out bag. Extra weight for non-essential contents should be avoided.
Bug Out Bag Checklist – What is needed?
Generally the content in a bug out bag should be able to allow a person to survive for 72 hours. Therefore, things listed in the bug out bag checklist should be enough and able for a person to use for at least 72 hours.
- Food. It depends on how much you usually take in 3 days. A normal person needs 2,000 to 3,000 calories per day. We suggest bringing food with at least 9,000 calories in the bug out bag. Food is a deep study. You should bring some light food like whole wheat bread which could give enough energy and need no carry the heavy weight.
- Water. Without water, a human can’t survive. This is a must in the bug out bag. 3 gallons of water should be enough for 72 hours for one person.
- First Aid Kit. This is a must not only in the bug out bag but also in cars or home. Bring also some medicine for emergency purposes.
- Some useful tools. Because of the 3 gallons of drinking water, the weight of the bag must be measure. Bring light and useful tools such as matches or lighter to start fire, maps and travel information (nowadays most of the people bring iPad or iPhone, but remember to charge it to fullest before you set your trip, PS: RIP Steve Jobs), toothbrush, knife, and also some lighting like a flash lights or torch.
- Clothing. Bring appropriate and good quality clothing base on the weather and the place you are going.
- Cash. With cash, you can even ask the ghost to open the door. Cash is an important thing in the bug out bag checklist that couldn’t overlook.
- Sleeping items. Whenever you are holding a bug out bag to go out, be prepared there is no longer 5 stars bed for you. Bring a sleeping bags and blankets.
Non-essential things for Bug Out Bag
There are some situations where you will make a trip less than 72 hours, say 48 hours. You can remove some of the non-essential things if your trip is less than that at non-dangerous places. So, what are the non-essential things?
- Food. Do not bring non-quality food with lots of fat and less protein. See the nutrition guide at the package when you purchase the food. Buy food with high protein and low fat. Heavy food will only increase the weight of the bag.
- Cash. Do not bring too much of cash, bring enough cash will help you in your journey but too much cash may bring trouble. Credit cards may not necessary if you are going to jungle tracking.
- Designer Wallet. Well, it is not necessary to bring any designer handbags or wallets to keep the cash. No Dolce & Gabbana, Fendi or Adonna is needed. Bag out bag usually have small interior pockets where you can keep the cash safely.
- Pets. Well, it will be fine to bring a dog for safety, but it is unnecessary to bring any extra pets or equipment for pets in your bug out bag.
Although you can buy a complete bug out bag at about $200 dollars, it may not suitable for where you are going. It will be more fun to pick up stuffs you need by yourself and go through the bug out bag checklist one by one.You may also like: